Monday, July 16, 2007

What the ...

So I received a package in the mail a couple of days ago. Friday to be exact. It was shipped parcel post for a total cost to the sender of $7.78.

This particular package contained information that was related to a health insurance issue that has since been closed. Closed before the package was shipped. I guess it just takes that long to get the right information to the right people.

Not having any need for this particular packet o' information at this time, I thought it might be nice for the sender to get it back, since it contained some information that could be helpful to another woman. So, on Saturday, I marked "return to sender" on the front, walked out to the mailbox and dropped it in. It left with the mailman and I considered it "mission completion," as Leo, from my son's favorite show "Little Einsteins," would say.

Today, when I went out the mailbox, was a familiar-looking package stuffed in it. It was the same damn package! I pulled it out and saw a bright green sticker telling me that in order to return this unopened package to the original sender, I would have to march down to my local post office and pay $7.78. What? When did this go into effect? I did attempt to look up this particular "policy" on the postal service Web site, but couldn't find anything that related to it.

So, I threw the packaage in the trash. I'm not paying to return unopened, unnecessary, non-relevant mail to my insurance company's third-party vendor. No wonder everyone does everything online these days.

No comments: